Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Week One Update

So, in true procrastinators form I meant to write this on Monday, and am just now getting around to it! So here's a bit of an update.

Turns out grocery shopping is a lot harder when you're not buying your normal staples of bread, rice and pasta...all of which can last longer than a week. Unlike produce that starts to get a little iffy after a week sometimes!

Aside from that I can honestly say that it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be, and the couple of things I anticipated that might be issues have been. First of all, I'm a pasta lover. I eat a lot of it. It's one of my favorite foods. Not eating it right now makes me sad. The end. Second, I suck at breakfast. Always have. I don't really like eating when I first wake up in the morning. It just never seems to settle well with my system. I also have this problem where I like to sleep as long as humanly possible in the morning, so I rarely eat before I leave for work. Because we have an employee cafeteria, I generally eat there in the morning before my shift starts. Unfortunately we rarely have "hot" options in the morning. The options are always: bagels, pastries, cereal, instant oatmeal and an assortment of breads and english muffins. Now that all of that stuff is out of my diet, that's also been tough.

Aside from those two minor things, I think this diet might actually be working! In one week I lost 9 lbs. And that was with cheating in a major way on Saturday (I also have a weakness for McD's french fries...eek!) and not making it to the gym once.

This week has been going pretty well so far, but with my stress levels as high as they have been, it's taking a lot more effort and will power to stick with it than it did last week. I'm guilty of stress eating, so all I've wanted all week so far is pasta and ice cream. I'm happy to report that I haven't caved yet!

I've decided to extend phase one for an extra week, but to add fruit back into my diet. I figure I'll start adding things in at baby steps so I won't over do it. I also think adding some fruit back in will help with breakfast as well as giving myself more options so that I won't start to feel bored like I am right now.

I think that's it for now. It's late. There's a good chance this whole post was rambling and didn't make much sense, but it's a post just the same! Have a good rest of the week everyone!

2 comments:

Gerri said...

You are doing great! Slow and steady wins the race. And don't beat yourself up about cheating....that's the quickest way to fall off plan. Just chalk it up to being human and move on. I understand how you feel about breakfast...I feel the same way...maybe it's genetic..lol

Keep up the good work....I'm so proud of you!

Dana Erickson said...

Awesome Job Sarah!!! I agree about the cheating... Don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes a quick cheat will help you stay on track rather than totally derailing lol. Keep up the good work.