Tuesday, February 28, 2012

6th Time's a Charm

So...as we learned in a previous post, I was "diagnosed" with PCOS about 4 years ago.  I use quotes because I found out last week that while it's likely that I have PCOS, I was improperly diagnosed.  I can't really say that I'm surprised by that though.  Last week I had a consultation with the endocrinologist that I was referred to.  He's the 6th doctor I've seen in the last four years, and he actually knows what he's talking about!

The consultation took about an hour and a half.  He was really attentive and explained everything to me in length using notes and diagrams (someone must have debriefed him on my personality prior to my arrival!), and we set up our plan of action as far as treatment goes.  The first part of treatment is officially diagnosing my disorder.  Previously, I was told that I had PCOS, but none of the other doctors bothered to actually go through the steps necessary to officially diagnose me.  In order to this, some unlucky phlebotomist is going to get to suck my blood.  That will happen in about a month after we've given my body some time to filter out the medication I was taking prior to my appointment last week.  Once the blood work is done and has been analyzed I'll start a new drug regimen and a new diet.

I'm mostly excited about having a diet that will work.  He created this diet with PCOS patients in mind (he's writing a book about it currently!), but says he's used it and he makes all of his friends use it as well.  He also said that every woman he's put on it who has stuck with it has lost all of the weight they needed to lose to be healthy again.  Also, he says the weight loss happens pretty quickly as well.  It will definitely be nice to not be carrying around all of this extra weight...both physically and mentally.

Overall, I'm so grateful to have been referred to this doctor.  So far I think he's amazing, and I'm excited to finally start getting everything worked out.  I'll keep you posted as I get more into everything.  Maybe when it's lab work time I'll treat you to the story of how I hate needles and phlebotomists hate me.  It should be a fun read!

1 comment:

Gerri said...

I gave you an award...go get it! http://thegerrichronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/awards-awards.html